Rescuers in Indonesia have rescued a six-year-old boy from the rubble of a collapsed house in Siangjur. The boy was rescued after surviving two days without any food or water.

Al-Jazeera reported that the boy, Azka Maulana Malik, had been trapped for two days and was found alive next to his grandmother’s body.

Salman Alfarisi, a relative of the boy, said, ‘(Azka) is fine now, he is healthy. The doctor said he was just a little weak from being hungry. There is no other problem.’

He also said that the boy’s mother was killed in Monday’s earthquake. He wants to go home now.’

The death toll from a magnitude 5.6 earthquake in the west of the densely populated Java island has now risen to 271. But authorities expect the number to rise as some remote areas are yet to be reached and heavy rains are hampering rescue efforts. About 40 people are still missing and over 2,000 have been injured.

This is Indonesia’s deadliest earthquake since 2018. Earlier, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake triggered a tsunami and landslides in the city of Palu in Sulawesi. It killed more than 4 thousand people.

National Disaster Mitigation Agency chief Suhrianto said police, search and rescue agencies and volunteers deployed more than 12,000 troops on Wednesday to bolster search efforts.

Many people have lost their homes in the incident. Aid is being sent to all of them. About 62,000 citizens have been shifted to shelters.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo visited Sianju the day after the earthquake and pledged to rebuild its infrastructure and provide up to 50 million rupiah ($3,180) to each affected resident.

In December 2004, a magnitude 9.1 earthquake near the island of Sumatra in western Indonesia triggered a massive tsunami that hit the coasts of 14 countries around the Indian Ocean. About 226,000 people died, more than half of them from Indonesia.

(24 November)