Russia has acknowledged some flaws in the new troop build-up in Ukraine.
On Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman acknowledged the error, the BBC reported.
“There have been some cases of violation of the decree. All errors are being corrected,” said Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
While the decree only calls for reservists with military experience, several news reports have also called up people with no military experience, the elderly, and the disabled.
After Putin’s announcement of a military rally last week, the country’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said they would call up a maximum of 300,000 men from the reserves.
The version of Putin’s decree published on the Kremlin’s main website did not specify the exact number of troops to be drawn from the reserves, with several anti-government media reports suggesting that as many as 1 million troops could be drawn. After that, anti-mobilization protests broke out in different parts of Russia.
More than 2,000 people have been detained in various anti-gathering protests across Russia since Putin’s military mobilization announcement.
At a briefing on Monday, Putin’s spokesman Peskov acknowledged that there were some mistakes in their process, saying “governors in some regions are actively working to rectify the situation.”
This senior Kremlin official also said that he is not aware of whether a state of emergency has been declared anywhere in the country or whether the borders have been closed.
Before sending troops to Ukraine on February 24, Russia had gathered about 190,000 troops near the border of the neighboring country.