More than 1.5 million people have been left without electricity by a Russian drone strike in the southern Ukrainian city of Odessa. The President of the country, Volodymyr Zelensky, said this information.

The region’s electricity authority warned that repairs after Friday’s attack would take weeks, possibly up to three months.

Zelensky said Odesa and other towns and villages in the region were in darkness after the overnight attack. So far, more than one and a half million people in Odessa region are without electricity.

Kirill Tymoshenko, deputy head of the presidential administration, said only critical infrastructure, including hospitals and maternity wards, had access to electricity.

He said, ‘The situation is difficult, but under control.’

Meanwhile, the Black Sea port was a favorite holiday destination for many Ukrainians and Russians before President Vladimir Putin sent troops into pro-Western Ukraine on February 24. The region’s governor, Maksim Marchenko, said Russia attacked the city overnight with ‘kamikaze drones’.

He said, ‘As a result of the attack, almost all the districts and communities in our region have been left without electricity.’

Ukrainian air defense units shot down two drones, the governor said.

Kiev said on Friday that southern regions of the war-torn country, including Odessa, were suffering their worst power outages in days after the latest bout of a series of Russian attacks on the Ukrainian power grid.

Russia fired dozens of cruise missiles at key infrastructure in Ukraine on Monday, putting pressure on the country’s already damaged grid after repeated attacks.

(11 December/SM)